For the last two summers Joel and I have struggled together in a "mommy and me" swim class. Joel fought (kicked and screamed) to get away and I fought to keep him close and following the teachers lead. I could always feel the other mom's eyes burning into my skin, "why can't you control your child?" So, when he turned 3 I could hardly wait to turn him over to a teacher and safely wait by the side of the pool.Being a teacher, I know EXACTLY the kind of kid Joel is in a class. The first day the teacher must have said 30 times, "Joel, get back on the stairs, Joel, stop splashing the girls, Joel come here, Joel, Joel, Joel." Believe me, she knew his name in the first 10 seconds of class. As a mom, but as a former teacher, I struggled with, do I go intervene, or do I just sit here and let her struggle with him. Again, the old familiar eyes were burning into the back of my neck. Finally the head swim teacher came over and threatened to put him in time out. That seemed to work, for about 5 minutes. Over the next two weeks Joel got a lot better (with bribes of m&m's and new legos.) And by the end of the class he was sitting nicely on the steps and not splashing the other girls. Boy am I in for it, or what???

1 comment:
But just look at that face? Too adorable! Sigh...yes you do have your hands full - -but it makes the good moments all the more rewarding, right? Clarissa had private lessons...I wonder how she would have fared in a group...she tends to pout when discouraged. I sure think you make cuties!
Post a Comment